New Features Coming to ARL of IA Android App
By: Kevin | March 29, 2013
Dear Android Faithful,
I’m going to come clean with you, I feel like the Android version of the ARL of IA app has gotten the short end of the stick. As I’ve mentioned in a previous post my first smartphone was an Android based phone however for nearly the last two years I have been using an iPhone for my everyday tech companion.
As result I have the latest and greatest unpublished versions of the ARL of IA app on my device at all times. I am constantly improving things and noticing things that could be better (little things make a big difference). For this reason I think you Android users have sort of gotten the shaft. BUT, good news! A friend of mine recently upgraded their phone and gave me their old Motorola Droid Bionic with Android 4.0.4 (My last Android had 2.2).
I am taking it upon myself to deliver the best version of the of the app yet! I have decided the only way I can accomplish this is to carry an Android with me on a daily basis. The Droid Bionic will soon be my main device so I can credtequic the Android version of the app as I get to on the daily for the iOS version.
Here is what’s “in the works” for ARL of IA 1.4 for iOS soon to be published. These features along with subtle other changes will also be added to Android.
- Favorites List: Every animal can now be ‘Favorited’ which will save the animal to a list which can be edited (ie. reordered, deleted, ect). Although the favorites list can’t guarantee the animal will still be available when your ready to take him or her home it will let you know if he or she is still available. In the event an animal that is saved to your favorites is adopted, the Favorited animal will still appear, greyed-out, in your favorites list and inform you that the animal is no longer available (No more wondering where it went).
- All Animals List: Like browsing all the animals? Now you can from a consolidated list.
- Searching: If someone ever tell you to look up “Izzy the cat,” your only option is to scroll through the entire list of cats (unfortunately, always the longest list). You can now search by Name, Gender, Breed and Age. I admit the search option isn’t perfect, but it is a nice improvement.
Search Tip: If you search by age, make sure you search how ages are show in the pet profile. ie. If you are looking for a two year old cat, go to the cats list, click on the search bar, and type “2 years”. If you try to search by typing “Two years” the results won’t be what you intent.
- Performance and bug fixes: I found areas of code that were not as efficient as they could be and I’ve updated it. Hopefully you notice that the app is a little snappier when your navigating.
- Save Images: Added the ability to save animal images directly to your Camera Roll. Click the “Share” button in animals details page and click “Save Image”