Handy Linux commands

By: Kevin | August 22, 2016

Handy Commands to remember:


Recursively Change permissions

sudo find /var/log/test -type f -exec chmod 777 {} \;

sudo find /var/log/test -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;


Search multiple files:

find . -name "*.log" | xargs grep -i <something>

grep -B x -A x file.log


Snapshot Date

date -u +%Y/%m/%d-%H:%M


Linux Permissions Cheat Sheet




4 read (r)

2 write (w)

1 execute (x)

7 = 4+2+1 (read/write/execute)

6 = 4+2 (read/write)

5 = 4+1 (read/execute)

4 = 4 (read)

3 = 2+1 (write/execute)

2 = 2 (write)

1 = 1 (execute)

Notes to self about WinRM

By: Kevin | August 22, 2016

Notes to self about WinRM.

On WinRs (client side) box, need to add ‘TrustHost’ to use CLI
winrm set winrm/config/client '@{TrustedHosts="machineA,machineB"}'

Trust all
winrm set winrm/config/client '@{TrustedHosts=“*”}’

List WinRm Listener IP and Port
Winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener
winrm e winrm/config/listener




Check running services

net start

  1. http://www.hurryupandwait.io/blog/understanding-and-troubleshooting-winrm-connection-and-authentication-a-thrill-seekers-guide-to-adventure
  2. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2010/09/24/an-introduction-to-winrm-basics/
  3. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384470(v=vs.85).aspx

Stopping and removing all Docker containers at once

By: Kevin | July 27, 2016

I found myself getting tired of copy and pasting UUID’s to remove containers one by one. I found this little snippet to help speed things up.

Stop all containers:
docker stop $(docker ps -a -q)

Remove all containers:
docker rm $(docker ps -a -q)


By: Kevin | July 2, 2016

Using brew on OS X,

To install:
brew install mysql

To start the server:
mysql.server start

To stop the server:
mysql.server stop

Monthly Update – 6/27/16

By: Kevin | June 27, 2016

I’ve essentially let the tank go the past 3 months and have only added top off water as needed. Surprisingly thing are going great.

  1. 5 gallon water change.
  2. Plant has been growing nicely.
  3. 4 Cardinal Tetras are all healthy
  4. Phosphates are through the roof however everything else is normal.

"IMG_4084 IMG_4083

How to add or edit cronjobs

By: Kevin | June 27, 2016

Note to self:

Perhaps use sudo.

To list jobs:

crontab -l


To edit jobs:

crontab -e

Monthly Update – 3/10/16

By: Kevin | March 10, 2016

Depressing changes since last update:

  1. Tank die off, 17 Cardinals down to 4. Pelco died.
  2. pH has been creeping >7.5 so I’ve added some chemicals to bring it down. I also added a piece of drift wood. The day after adding the wood my pelco was dead so I took it back out.
  3. 15% water change, used tap water conditioner and Proper pH 6.5
  4. New filter
  5. New carbon
  6. Got a new Pelco.

Everything is near zero except Phosphates, which are through the roof! Which explains why the tank has had an algae bloom.


Got new lighting! 🙂

Weekly Update – 2/5/2016

By: Kevin | February 5, 2016

Since last post:

  1. 15% water change
  2. Vacuumed gravel
  3. New carbon
  4. New filter
  5. 17 more Cardinal Tetras, yes 17

Everything is around 0.


Weekly Update – 1/24/2016

By: Kevin | January 24, 2016

Since last update:

  1. Water top offs to account for evaporation.

Measurements have really stabilized. ph ~7.6, Ammonia ~0, Nitrite ~0, Nitrate ~0, and new for this post Phosphates which appear to be off the charts.


The water looks crystal clear. But if you look closely algae is on the rocks and all over my fake plant and the back wall.


Weekly Update – 1/4/2016 – Fluval BioMax

By: Kevin | January 4, 2016

Since last update I’ve done very little by design. I have been trying to do lots of little water changes however I don’t think that has allowed my biological filtration to find its groove. I decided to hold back on the water changes to allow my biological filtration to do its thing.

Since last update:

  1. Added 2 boxes of Fluval BioMax to my 2nd chamber in my Biocube. This brings my total biological filration to stock bioballs and 3 boxes of Fluval BioMax in chamber 2. I believe this is working. My Ammonia has remained the same if not down slightly, Nitrites have jump noticeably, Nitrates have increase slightly.


Added two boxes to increase my biological filtration.
Fluval BioMax
pH ~6.8, Ammonia ~1.0-2.0, Nitrite ~1.0-2.0, Nitrate ~10.0-20.0
The tank has cleared up considerably since last post.

Next Page »